Siyyid Ja'far-i-Yazdi

Siyyid Ja'far-i-Yazdi became a Bábí when Vahid came to Nayriz. They knew each other previously. He became one of the most trusted followers of Báb and a friend and companion of Vahid. He was subject to worse treatment at the end of the First Upheaval, not only due to his views and belief, but also because the governor Khan wanted his wealth and land. During the fortress war, Vahid gave Siyyid Ja'far the responsibility of staying in Nayriz, while Vahid moved to the fortress to continue lecturing the believers and encourageing them to be steadfast in their acceptance of the Báb in the Mosque of Jumih.

The governor himself was one of his admirerors. His beautiful house was close to the governor's mansion. He was a great mullá and speaker. The governor would often say that it was Mullá Muhammad Taqiy's money, and the lectures, the words of Siyyid Ja'far that caused the defeat of his army. The Governor's mother in particular loved and respected Siyyid Ja'far. She would often invite him to their house.

His acceptance of the Báb's call, his support of Vahid and becoming a close adviser to him, led many other Nayrizis to follow his lead and accept the Báb. This naturally angered and inflamed the govenor further. He declared that Siyyid Ja'far be punished as a lesson for others.

Siyyid Ja'far, along with Hájí Muhammad Taqiy and a few others after the First Upheaval, were arrested and put in a dark dungeon in chains. Every day they were subject to a new method of torture and punishment. Witnesses had mentioned that there were many days when they had seen Siyyid Ja'far with blood flowing from his nose and toes. To insult his station as a Siyyid they removed his green turban and burnt it.

There was a major food shortage in Nayriz during this period. Food was rationed among the poor people of Nayríz. The governor's agent would often bring Siyyid Ja'far to the front of the place where the grain was stored - where people would line up to collect their rations. In order to receive a ration of corn, rice, or wheat, first the recipients would have to spit on Siyyid Ja'far's face. On one occasion a poor family was standing to the side, ashamed to spit on him. He kindly told them to do what the others were doing: spit on his face, collect their rations and feed their family.

For nine mounths the inprisonment and punishment continued. Some days he was taken out of the prison and paraded around town until they reached the front of a house of a wealthy family of Nayriz. Then the guards would begin to whip him severely waiting for a member of the household to come out and give the guards a few coins. Then they would move on to the next house. Often his family and children were forced to come along and witness this savage treatment. The punishment and the beating were sometimes so severe, that the govenor's attendants would have to carry him on their shoulders from house to house .

Governor Khan was hoping that Siyyid Ja'far would die in prison. One night the governor's wife had a horrible dream about the prisoners that caused her to take pity on them. She asked her husband to release the prisoners. He refused. She developed and executed a plan and helped them to escape.

Hájí Muhammad Taqiy eventually left for Baghdad where he met Bahá'u'lláh and then stayed there. Siyyid Ja'far stayed four years in Herat, then returned to the city of Yazd in the year 1857. He has received a very famous tablet from Bahá'u'lláh - “Suriy-i-Nush”, which contained answers to a few questions that he had asked Bahá'u'lláh. Later he went to Baghdad where he met Bahá'u'lláh, and then he died upon his return to Yazd.

His children Fatimih Begum, Siyyid Mossa and Siyyid Muhammad played a major role in the Bahá'i Faith at the time. His daughter Fatimih was six years old, when Vahid came to Nayriz. She was an extremely bright young girl who studied Arabic and Persian literature with her father. Before the upheaval began, they had a comfortable life, but then everything was lost and the period of suffering and hardship began. Later, Fatimih married Hájí Muhammad Ismail, a successful merchant in Yazd. When Nayriz was becoming prosperous again she returned with her husband and three of their children. The son of the former Governor Zaynu'l Abidin Khan, Phat-Ali-Khan, was informed of their coming and sent a secret message to the people of Qatruih to kill her husband by poisoning him.

Fatimih and her three children, the youngest one being only one year old, were left alone in Qatruih. When the news of what took place got to Nayriz, Mulla Muhammad Shafi sent a few Bahá'ís to rescue her and bring her to Nayriz. She had a productive life of teaching and training the women of town. She died in 1883 and had been the recipient of a wonderful tablet by Bahá'u'lláh.

Her third child, Mirzá ‘Abdu'l Husayn, ( Tahereh's grandfather) was only one year old when starvation spread in the town. The situation was so severe that wild animals would come down from the mountains, attacking people, sometimes grabbing children from their beds or the hands of their mothers. It was called the year of the Wolf. During this time a wolf grabbed Mirzá ‘Abdu'l Husayn and ran away with the young boy. Nobody could find him. They believed he was dead. While they were searching for his dead body, suddenly they heard a cry of a baby and they found him alive in a pool of blood. They treated his wounds. He survived the attack, but for the rest of his life he had a big scar on his face. Mirzá ‘Abdu'l Husayn lived to be fifty. He married Nuri Jan, the daughter of Mullá Muhammad Shafi and had five children with her.

Tablets to Siyyid Jafar-i-Yazdi

back to Biographies

  Copyright © 2024 by Hussein Ahdieh. All rights reserved.